E41 The Second Written Schoolwork


The Second Written Schoolwork
A Using the beginnings provided, rewrite each sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence.


0    I’ve ordered oxtail soup, not mutton broth. It is oxtail soup that I’ve ordered, not ___
      mutton broth. ____________________________________
1    It was the most stirring patriotic song I have ever heard.
      Never ___________________________________________
2    I just need a bit of your guidance to carry on with the project.
      All ______________________________________________
3    She wouldn’t have applied for this job if she had known what the conditions were like.
      Had ______________________________________________
      4    Barbara hardly ever speaks up in front of many people.
      Seldom ___________________________________________
5    My mother disapproves of our engagement, not my father.
      It ________________________________________________
6    The teacher didn’t only scold them in class, but she also called their parents to school.
      Not only __________________________________________
      7    Young people trying to jump queues really annoy me.
      What ______________________________________________
8    The President decided to send his troops there only when the peace talks failed.
      It _________________________________________________
      9    I don’t like my hair dyed. I will not have it permed either.
      I don’t like my hair dyed, and neither _____________________
      ____________________________________________________
10  The dean started his lecture and immediately heard a strange noise outside the hall.
      No sooner ____________________________________________________________________
     
B Complete the text below with one word (a verb or a particle) in each gap.

/ 10
Ruth: It all started when my twin sister Ann learned that she was two minutes older than me. She began to (0) _____look_____ down on me and do terrible things I cannot (1) ____________________ up with any more. Many times she’s gone (2) ____________________ with my best dress without asking for permission. Ann is also very critical and keeps getting (3) ____________________ me for one thing or another. She doesn’t realise that it really (4) ____________________ to me and I might go (5) ____________________ her very soon. Or I’ll (6) ____________________ my own back on her by wearing her best clothes.
Ann: I have no idea why Ruth kicks (7) ____________________ a fuss every time I borrow something from her. I always (8) ____________________ it back when I don’t need it any more. Besides, I’m her older sister.
Mum: I think I need to talk it (9) ____________________ with the girls. Hopefully they’ll be able to (10) ____________________ forward some kind of solution. They can’t go on like this any longer.
C Match the words from the two columns to form meaningful expressions.

/ 3
0    inquire                               a)         about something
1    chat                                    b)         in someone’s ear
2    mention                             c)         all day with a backpack
3    stroll                                  d)         about the times of trains
4    whisper                              e)         along the beach
5    stagger                               f)         her concern
6    trudge                                g)         half-awake into the bathroom

D Complete the sentences with appropriate words. Use only one word in each gap.

/ 7
0    The boys had a violent ___argument____ over their toy soldiers.
1    The talks aim at ending a 20-year-old _______________ between the two families.
2    You keep trying to earn more and more money, even though you have plenty already. It’s just ____________________ .
3    There are many countries nowadays that are divided by religious or racial _______________ .
4    My little brother is very brave – he shows no signs of _______________ .
5    Unfortunately, the strike ended in violent _______________ with the police.
6    He was eaten up with _______________ when he saw his wife talking to another man.
7    My mother longed for a _______________ to the conflict between my father and me.
TOTAL

/ 30

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E13, M12, Г11 Vocabulary: Phrasal verbs with go Compound nouns- practice